And I finally bought the 40D!!

Go down

And I finally bought the 40D!!

Post  lkcase on Mon Jul 21, 2008 8:52 am

I just bought the Canon 40D (an upgrade from my 20D) and unfortunately I got a total lemon and from B&H! You can't read the shutter speed if it is more than 3 digits and the viewfinder is missing the exposure reading (the white line that goes from -2 to +2) so I can't even tell if I'm exposing properly! I've had it for a couple weeks and need to send it back. Waaaa. Now I have to wait for them to process the return and send me another one. In the meantime, what do people love/dislike about this camera? I shoot entirely in manual mode b/c that's how I learned (my teachers wouldn't allow us to shoot in any form of automatic or semi-auto(, but am wondering if anyone has found any of the preset modes to work well? I put the camera on auto when I hand it to my husband and find that at least with the 20D, they are usually under-exposed. And when i'm just taking a snapshot (and therefore with the little pop-up flash), the photo is totally underexposed. Argh. Any ideas would be helpful!

lkcase

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: And I finally bought the 40D!!

Post  mawson on Mon Jul 21, 2008 10:29 am

Hi! I've the 30d and the 40d is on its way. I know the 30d also underexposes a tad. My friends typically know that and just overexpose slightly. That is the style they like anyways. (just before being blown out) Sometimes I do the same, other times I brighten it in iphoto. (and recently have been playing with Lightroom)
When I don't want to shoot full manual I typically put it in AV mode. I choose the aperture, it chooses the shutter. It works well. Lately I've been taking swimming photos and use AV mode in continuous shooting mode with AI servo or the other one. I'm amazed by its focusing abilities! My 30d is worn out but continues to live. (I've taken easily way more than 150,000 pics)
So, I hope someone can give you a better answer. I never use auto mode. I dislike pop up flashes and my 30d handles noise so well I just bump up the ISO to 1600 and use a low aperture instead of flash, so I do prefer AV mode.
mawson

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Lumiere on Thu Sep 04, 2008 6:58 am

Is it heavy??

Lumiere

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Tory on Fri Sep 05, 2008 9:37 pm

In aswer to if the 40D is heavy, it is heavy IMO as I have it.

I need to call Canon about my 40D too as there is no way to set it to Camera RAW.

Does anyone else have this issue?
Tory

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down