I did it!! We bought the D40!!

Go down

I did it!! We bought the D40!!

Post  twinsplusone on Mon Jun 23, 2008 4:11 pm

I am so excited! We went to Best Buy on Saturday night, (couldn't get dh to go to the other mall to go to Ritz...oh well), and we bought the D40 kit and the 55-200 lense. I am so excited!! We used it yesterday for our twin boys birthday party. And it's fantastic. I can't believe how fast the shutter is (is that what's it called? when you can just go click click click and take pix right after the other?? phenomenal!!)

We only had it in manual mode because I don't know anything yet about taking it out of that...got lots of reading to do. Can anyone recommend someplace to take a photography class??

Anyways, I wanted to thank everyone for them help in my decision to go with this camera. I know I am really going to love it! Especially over my pns camera.

Thanks!
tami

twinsplusone

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: I did it!! We bought the D40!!

Post  mawson on Mon Jun 23, 2008 6:24 pm

Congrats Tami! So thrilled to hear about your new camera and your twins birthday! Don't you love no shutter lag? That is the ONLY reason I switched to a digital SLR. If they still had the shutter delay I'd still be using my film SLR. (now, why can't they use that technology with point and shoots? I think every mom would appreciate the no shutter delay)
If you shot Manual, wow. That is what most of us aspire to. To shoot full manual. Did you mean Auto? That is the easiest to use, and I bet your camera does a good job in choosing its own settings. (I've a Canon and like it though I feel it tends to underexpose in auto....plus I don't use flash and in auto the pop up seems to always pop up!) Manual or auto, I bet you took some great pictures! You'll have to share them!
As for photography courses you can search the web for some free ones. I know 2 peas in a bucket has a free 12 week course they were going through. It looked good. Otherwise local colleges or community centers may offer classes. (I took a darkroom class about 4 years ago...it was fun!) I took an online course for 300 bucks called MLK
www.mlkstudios.com It went thoroughly through the basics and the reasons behind the basics. If you know quite a bit about photography it may be too basic for you. (but I bet you'd still get something out of it) If you go to Susan's tutorial section you'll see she has a challenge to change your White Balance to see how your different settings of WB really matter. Most courses do things like that to get you familiar with your camera. The one thing I loved about my MLK class is that I joined with a group from ILP. http://ilovephotography.com
We created our own forum and regularly share critiques of our pics, plus Matthew (the online class instructor) would also come on and critique our photos. Now we're done with the course but still share online. Most of them are in business so now our chat is about packaging, business cards, as well as critiquing their latest shoot. I've even met a few and they all flew to one location to do a photo shoot with models! (I was so jealous...I did not go!)
Even if you just get a book and experiment you will grow in leaps and bounds. Practice is the best thing.
Congratulations!
mawson

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  twinsplusone on Mon Jun 23, 2008 8:56 pm

oops. not manual. I meant to say auto. I am not skilled at all to do manual.

I do have to say, that we were surprised that you don't view the pix prior to taking it in. But we got used to holding up to our eye and using the viewer pretty quickly. it was steadier too.

twinsplusone

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  mawson on Tue Jun 24, 2008 1:11 am

Ah, yes. no live view like in point and shoots. Some models DO have live view mode now. (The highest end Canon, the canon 40d and the Xsi plus some other camera makers) Depending on how well it is received I've a feeling lots of DSLRs will offer it in the future, if people like it.
Personally, I've never really used a point and shoot and have always shot with a film or digital SLR so I am accustomed to no live view. My new camera has live view and I don't think I'll use it. I like the viewfinder, plus l imagine live view will use more battery power. I guess I a a bit of a traditionalist. And as you said, I think one would hold the camera a bit more steady if you view things through the viewfinder.
Can't wait to see your pics!
mawson

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  tammylk on Tue Jun 24, 2008 2:23 am

Congrats on the new camera. I love having no shutter lag. I am a D50 user so I welcome another Nikon gal.

I bought the book Understanding Exposure by Bryan Peterson and it is a highly recommended book on ILP, I am also a memeber there. I have learned a lot from reading on that site.

I know Mathew from MLK is back after a personal leave but am not sure if he is doing courses yet.

tammylk

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  mawson on Tue Jun 24, 2008 5:23 am

I agree with Understanding Exposure, a MUST HAVE book to own! And I do think Matthew has his photo courses up and running, though I could be mistaken. (I heard about him and so glad he is back and doing well!)
If you were to read some books and post here and ILP for CC I bet you will learn so much so quickly! Just challenge yourself to know your camera and experiment. Most of all, enjoy it!
mawson

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Tory on Sat Jul 05, 2008 6:17 am

I have this camera too and love it. Have had it for a few months now and still have to learn a lot about the camera. It doesn't seem too different from the XTi that I was using. Have fun with it.

Tory

Back to top Go down

Post  lndsfll on Fri Aug 01, 2008 4:33 pm

Anticpating to see some of your photos.

Our Ritz and Wolf are the same camera store, just differ names. My Wolf Camera offers 6 , two hour courses for $70. I'm buying into that here in a few weeks! Smile I know nothing about my new purchase!

lndsfll

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down