Stobe Lights in Studio....

Go down

Stobe Lights in Studio....

Post  Tory on Fri Sep 05, 2008 9:23 pm

Does anyone here use strobe lights in their studio in their home or other location? I use them and have an awful time with the lighting. Even when I turn the strobes all the way down to the lowest setting my photos are still overexposed. If any one has any suggestion, please help. Thanks.
Tory

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Stobe Lights in Studio....

Post  Susan on Fri Sep 05, 2008 9:59 pm

I'm having the same issues - I don't know how to light the area to get pictures without overblowing and shadows! Sad

Equipment:
Canon EOS Rebel XTi
50mm portrait lens
18-75mm Kit lens
Susan
Forum Coordinator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Tory on Sat Sep 06, 2008 3:49 am

I posted this a few mins. ago so if it shows up twice please forgive the double post.

I don't have trouble with shadows, I'll explain what I do in a min.

I've given a lot of thought to my strobes this evening (since I am not working maybe I can spend some additional time trying things out with my strobes). Since I have my strobes set to the lowest lighting on the dial and my photos are still over exposed, it must be my f-stop, what you do think?

About the shadows on the backdrop, you need to ensure that your backdrop is well lit. I always use a backlight behind the subject and a strobe light that lights up the backdrop. These lights are in addition to my subject light (this is the light I am having trouble with). I also use a boom at times to illuminate the hair Smile The boom is a bit of a pain though as it is cumbersome to move around as it is heavy, huge, etc. Also, ensure that the ambient light that is in your room is not causing some of the shadowing once you light the backdrop properly. I bught room darkening shades for my dining room and that has helped too. I don't have the shadow problem when using my strobes, etc. If I take a photo in my studio just using my flash when I just want a quick photo there is ALWAYS a shadow behind my subject.
Tory

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down